The Town of Seabrook Island does not have a municipal fire department. Therefore, all fire suppression and prevention services are provided by the St. Johns Fire District.
The St. John's Fire District was established by the South Carolina Legislature in 1959. The District is comprised of four barrier islands - Johns, Kiawah, Seabrook and Wadmalaw - and covers a total land area of approximately 185 square miles.
The St. John's Fire District is governed by a nine member commission which is appointed by the Governor based on the recommendations of Charleston County Council. Each of the four islands has representation on the commission.
The St. John's Fire District employs more than 140 personnel, of which nearly 130 are fire suppression certified. The district also maintains its own maintenance division.
The St. Johns Fire District is headquartered at 1148 Main Road in Johns Island. St. Johns operates seven fully-staffed fire stations, the closest of which are as follows: